The Roxbury Public Library seeks an enthusiastic and forward-thinking professional to lead its Adult Services team. Our ideal candidate demonstrates strong interest in and experience with technology, digital services, collection management, innovative services for adults, programming, and public relations. In addition, they should possess a passion for working in a team-based and customer-focused environment that strives to provide top-notch services to the community at large.
This position will play a critical role in shaping the future of adult services at the library and require high-level decision-making in regards to exemplary customer service, programming, collection management, community engagement and technology. The successful candidate will be a key figure in future implementation of a planned “Library of Things,” non-dewification, technological/digital upgrades, and the constant reimagining of what it means to be a successful public library. Inherently lazy candidates, those uncomfortable with change at breakneck speeds, or those who have no desire to challenge the status quo of librarianship need not apply.
Essential duties and responsibilities:
- Inspires, motivates and leads staff through effective communication and embracing change.
- Collaborates with the management team on preparation and implementation of library-wide services, policies, initiatives, and programming.
- Collaborates with adult services staff to develop and execute innovative programs, collection management strategies and services that anticipate and address community needs.
- Collaborates with library staff to promote library use, highlighting programs, collections and services for adults.
- Develops and strengthens community relations; assists Programming & Community Outreach coordinator.
- Runs regular public instructional classes on library resources
- Oversees the library website, social media presence, and marketing campaigns.
- Represents the library on adult services committees and serves as the authority on adult service; attends professional development events via MAIN, NJLA and other agencies.
- Coaches, mentors, schedules and evaluates staff with the goal of continuous improvement.
- Collects and analyzes data to write reports with actionable recommendations for improving services.
- Assists in the development of library-wide policies, procedures and strategic plans.
- Oversees the day-to-day operations of adult services.
- Performs reference assistance and reader’s advisory
- Assists in other departments and at desks when needed and other duties as required.
- Able to see the big picture and promote library-wide consistency and excellence of adult services.
- Exemplary leadership skills to create and maintain a high-level of customer satisfaction based on the needs and interests of the community.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers, associates, regional library staff, trustees, policy makers, and partner organizations.
- Ability and demonstrated experience in planning, developing, administering, and evaluating inventive staff and public services, programs, and community relations.
- Superior knowledge of adult literature in order to both develop outcome-oriented collection management strategies and assist with reader’s advisory.
- Ability to analyze, interpret and implement the rules, regulations, policies and procedures of the library; friendly flexible, positive and willing to work with customers and staff to successfully resolve problems.
- Extensive and creative technical skills, including good command of standard office software, G Suite and Google Drive, social media, internet searching, and use of library information technology.
- Fluency in digital art principles, techniques and tools such as Canva or photoshop.
- Strong interpersonal and conflict resolution skills; creative problem-solving attitude.
- Desire to work in team-based, customer-centric environment; flexibility to assist other public service desks or departments.
- Capable of effectively presenting information to executive management, public groups and boards of directors.
- Strong communication, writing and speaking skills. Fluency in English is required.
Education and/or Experience:
- A Master’s Degree in Library Science from an ALA-accredited university or equivalent.
- Three years of progressive experience in working with adults in a public library or similar setting. Two years of supervisory experience strongly preferred. Those with less experience but with the right mix of talents are nonetheless encouraged to apply.
- Appointees are required to possess a valid NJ license as a Professional Librarian.
- Salary meets the NJLA minimum recommendation for Librarian.
- State Health Benefits and mandatory enrollment in the NJ Public Employees' Retirement System.
- Generous vacation and sick leave
Interested parties should send the following to Radwa Ali, Director email@example.com:
- A letter of interest addressing the Library's stated needs (include “Adult Services Librarian” in the email subject line).
- Three (3) professional references
- Five (5) examples of promotional work (examples: flyer, social media post, mass email on behalf of a library, digital signage graphic, etc).